IntroFive Spice Meat roll or in Fujian Dialect we called it Ngoh Hiang. It is significant in Baba and Nyonya cuisine. This dish is served especially during the Chinese festival reunion dinner such as Chinese New Year, Mid Autumn Festival etc. You can get this delicious meat roll at food stalls around Penang Island.
- 300 Gram (10.6 ounces, or a little over half a pound) Pork Shoulder
- 200 Gram (7 ounces, or a little under half a pound) Shrimp
- 250 Gram (8.8 ounces, or about half a pound) Chicken Tights (Thighs)
- 5 Water Chestnut
- 50 Gram (1.76 ounces) Spring Onion
- 1 Table Spoon Minced Garlic
- 20 Sheets Beancurd Sheets
- a pinch Salt
- 1 Table Spoon Soy sauce
- 1 Table spoon Oyster sauce
- 1/2 Table spoon Pepper
- 2 Table Spoon sesame oil
- 1/2 Table Spoon Five Spice Powder
- 2 Table Spoon Chinese rice wine/Shaoxing Wine
- 5 table Spoon Corn Startch
- 1 Egg
Mince the chicken tights (thighs) by using a big knife on the chopper board.
Cut the pork shoulder into julienne style and dice the prawns.
Minced the water chestnuts and spring onion coarsely. Put Aside.
In a large mixing bowl, put together the pork, minced chicken and diced prawn. Mix well.
Add in salt, soy sauce, oyster sauce, pepper, sesame oil, five spice powder, Chinese Rice wine, egg and corn starch.
Mix well and let it marinate for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, add in spring onion and water chestnut. Mix well.
Put enough marinated meat texture in the center of each beancurd wrapper.
Seal the edges with beaten egg.
Finished rolling, you will get approximately 20 rolls of meat rolls.
Heat the oil in the wok and fry with medium heat.
Until they turn brown.
Cut the meat roll and serve with cucumber and chilies sauce.
Now that you have learned how to make five spice meat roll (ngoh hiang), please be sure to view these other pork recipes.
Recipes Similar to Five Spice Meat Roll (Ngoh Hiang)
Have you made this recipe? If so, please rate it.
Final Step: Share It!
Love this recipe? Why don't you share it with others or post a comment. Choose which one below.
Page 1 of 1 comment pages